MENU MORE

Killeen-Area Communities

A list of old communities in the Killeen, Texas, area, most of which are long gone


Antelope

In Coryell County, primarily oriented toward Gatesville (the county seat). Close to the intersection of Elija Rd and Georgetown Rd.

First settled around 1854 and disappeared in 1942 when Camp Hood took over the land.

Intersection on Google Maps.

Brookhaven

In Bell County, northeast of Killeen; east of Palo Alto; north of Hay Branch.

Before 1882, the area was known as Post Oak Branch, site of revivals and campmeetings. It was named Brookhaven when a Post Office was installed. Brookhaven may have been chosen since two of the area's residents (Charlie and Ed Oswalt) were from Brookhaven, Mississippi.

Had a population of 30 during the 1930s, several businesses, a school and a church. In 1913, the post office was discontinued. There was a syrup mill from 1930 to 1942.

The area is now part of Ft. Hood. Some of Brookhaven disappeared in 1942 with Camp Hood's first land grab, while the eastern parts remained until 1953 when Ft. Hood expanded again. Most of the Brookhaven area is now under Belton Lake, and the rest is on the eastern edge of Ft. Hood.

Approximate location on Google Maps.

Cedar Knob

Its school merged with Union Grove's school.

Clear Creek

In Coryell County, west of Killeen (now entirely inside Ft. Hood). About where the Courses of Clear Creek golf course is located.

Courses of Clear Creek on Google Maps.

Ding Dong / Iduma / Rock Creek Church

Where the Lampasas River crosses SH195, 5.7 miles south of Killeen (10 miles SSW of downtown Killeen).

The Ding Dong Store was on the north side of the river. The Iduma school was three miles south. In between, was Rock Creek Road (now Sharps Cemetery Road), which led to Rock Creek Church and Sharps Cemetery.

The Ding Dong Store was established in 1922, newer than Iduma or Rock Creek. Iduma had a two-room schoolhouse, replaced by a three-room stone school in 1931.

Ding Dong on Google Maps

Eliga

In Coryell County, north of Killeen, where the House Creek runs into Cowhouse Creek.

The post office at Eliga was discontinued in 1912. There was no school. Students went to Harmony, Salem, or Shuck Holler. There were two churches: Church of Christ and Freewill Baptist, and two cotton gins. An iron bridge was completed in the late '30s to avoid a low-water crossing. In 1942, it was absorbed into Camp Hood.

See the location on Google Maps

Harmony

In Coryell County, near where Cottonwood Creek runs into Cowhouse Creek (3 miles NE of Antelope).

Known for the accidental shooting death of a 16-year-old girl during a school play on April 6, 1929.

Hay Branch

Northeast of Killeen (Rancier & FM3219?)

In the 1930s, had just a one-room school house, which had been built in 1884. It was consolidated into the Killeen school district in 1949.

Little Nolan

East of Killeen (between current Nolanville and Belton). Though an old map shows Little Nolan inside 2013 Killeen, right where Bacon Ranch Rd becomes Little Nolan Rd.

Appeared as early as the 1870s, but during the 1930s was little more than a school, church and the McDowell Cemetery. The cemetery was still there as of 2013.

McDowell Cemetery on Google Maps.

Maxdale / Pleasant Grove

15 miles southwest of Killeen, on the Lampasas River (on current Maxdale Rd.).

First settled in 1841 by Mancel McBryde, who brought his family and some slaves. Originally called Pleasant Grove. When Frank McBryde Sr. applied for a post office in 1883, that name had already been taken. The post office closed in 1926 and Maxdale was added to a Killeen route. About 1900, there were two stores, a post office, cotton gin, grist mill, three churches (Baptist, Primitive Baptist, and Methodist), a cemetery, blacksmith shop, and a school. By the '30s, there was only a gas station, school, cemetery, and one church (Baptist). By the 1990s, only the cemetery and church remained. Students have been bused into Killeen since 1938.

Maxdale on Google Maps.

Mt. View (Mountain View)

Inside current Harker Heights, probably where Cedar Knob Rd intersects with FM2410.

Had a two-room school.

Today (2013), there's a Mountain View Elementery School in Harker Heights.

Oakalla

Pronounced "Oakally". Northeast corner of Burnet County, 5.6 miles west of Maxdale.

Officially began on May 19, 1879, when the post office was established. "Oak Valley" was requested, but the postal service designated the town "Oakalla". Settled since 1850 or so by Tennesseans. First store opened in 1870.

Oakalla on Google Maps.

Okay

Southwest of original Killeen, on what is now the Killeen-Ft. Hood Regional Airport (formerly Robert Gray Army Airfield). That's about 5 miles north of Maxdale and on the very western edge of Killeen's city limits. Apparently, the area stretched to the north a bit, perhaps up to U.S. 190.

About 200 people living there in the 1930s. One resident remembered "mountains" named Noah, Crossville, Okay, Ivie Gap, Henderson, and Duncan.

Browns Cemetery, which used to be in Okay, was moved and is now next to the airport. Henderson Cemetery remains near Ft. Hood housing at Montague Village. Much of Okay's land was bought by the federal government and landowners forced out, for the building of Camp Hood.

Killeen-Fort Hood Regional Airport on Google Maps.

Nolanville

7 miles east of Killeen (as of 2013, there's less than a mile from Killeen's east border to Nolanville's west border).

First known as Nolan Valley, the name was changed when the railroad came through in 1882 (before 1850, Belton was known as Nolansville). Several families lived there before the War Between The States.

Nolanville on Google Maps.

Palo Alto

Pronounced "Pally Alto". Post office established Nov. 8, 1872, east of what became Killeen (and, as of 2013, inside the city limits). By the 1930s, it was north of Killeen, with some of its farms/ranches located in Coryell County. A 1930s map shows it a couple of miles south of Sugar Loaf.

In 1882, Palo Alto's post office was transferred to Killeen, which had already been named. Before Killeen's establishment, there was also a store, a school, and a church in Palo Alto. By the 1930s, there was just the schoolhouse. Killeen likely would have been named Palo Alto (because the post office had already been named), but the new town was established on railroad-owned property and the railroad insisted on the name change.

Palo Alto disappeared in the 1940s when Camp Hood was constructed and acquired the land.

Reeces Creek

On what is now Stagecoach Road, east of SH195. (Now entirely in the city limits of Killeen.) The same source also says "about seven miles south of Killeen". In 2013, "Reese (Reece) Creek Road" is west of SH195, roughly parallelling S. Clear Creek Rd for about 3 miles.

Today (2013), there is a Reeces Creek Elementary School in Killeen, on Stan Schlueter Loop, just east of SH195.

Silver City

North of Killeen, north of Sugar Loaf, NE of Eliga. Now inside Ft. Hood.

Sparta

Now under Belton Lake; east of Brookhaven; NNE of Nolanville.

Sugar Loaf

In Coryell County, about seven miles north of where Killeen would be established.

The site of the area's last Indian massacre, in 1859. Named for Sugar Loaf Mountain (971 ft.), a "bald, volcano-shaped mini-mountain because pioneers thought it resembled a well-known candy of the day called Sugar Loaf". Sometimes called the "cradle of Killeen" because several of Killeen's early citizens originated in Sugar Loaf, including Killeen's first doctor, W.W. McCorcle, and first undertaker, Richard Moses Cole.

By the 1930s, only a cemetery and a church remained. Students went to school at Palo Alto or Brookhaven. When Fort Hood was built in 1942, it engulfed Sugar Loaf. The cemetery was moved to and joined with Killeen's cemetery. Among the tombstones was that of Sarah Scroggins, who was 103 years old at the time of her death in 1882. Her epitaph reads: "Gone to meet her 18 children and three husbands".

Trimmier

Southeast of Killeen.

In the 1930s, there was a Trimmier school.

Killeen has two streets named Trimmier, and there is a "Little Trimmier Dr" south of Killeen. Trimmier Creek and Little Trimmier Creek feed into Stillhouse Hollow Lake.

Union Grove

13 miles southwest of Killeen. (It's unclear where Killeen's boundaries were when this measurement was taken.)

Its school merged with Cedar Knob's school.

Willow Springs

Southwest of Killeen.

About 90% of its residents were of German origin who came to Texas in the 1850s and then to the Killeen area after the War Between the States. Contained the only Lutheran church in the area, with sermons preached in both English and German. There was also a Protestant church and a school.

A Lutheran cemetery next to the church was left in place on "Old 440", though the church was moved into Killeen.

Today (2013), there is a Willow Springs Elementary in Killeen, on W. Stan Schlueter Loop, about a mile west of "Old 440", and a Willow Springs Road, parallelling "Old 440".

Youngsport

About 10 miles south of Killeen, on the Lampasas River.

The area was settled during the Texas Republic years, prior to statehood in 1846. In 1870, many more arrived via Rev. Joel Henry Cosper's wagon train from Randolph County, Alabama. By 1884, there were 200 people in the Youngsport region. In the 1930s, the community still had stores, a three-teacher school, a telephone exchange, two churches, a cotton gin, and three cemeteries.

Today (2013), there are still several homes in the area, just north of where FM 2484 cross the Lampasas River
Youngsport on Google Maps.

Sources:

Sugar Loaf More Than A Memory, Clay Coppedge, 2005, Temple Daily Telegram
Historic Killeen: An Illustrated History, Gerald Skidmore Sr., 2010
Sugar Loaf Mountain, The Portal To Texas History
Unforgettable Decade: Killeen, Texas, and Trade Area, 1930-1939: A Pivotal Era, Killeen Project 1930s, 1993