Here’s a happier subject than my usual fare: Which movies make you cry?
Statistics news site 538 reports that 92% of survey respondents — both genders — report that they’ve cried during at least one movie, and of the remaining 8%, at least half admitted during followup questioning that they became “misty-eyed” or “choked up” during a movie.
The article also lists the movies most likely to bring tears to viewers, with 2004’s The Notebook ruling supreme, far ahead of second place. My wife used to cry at this movie until I explained it to her (and she’s still a little upset at me for doing so). Perhaps not surprisingly, Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, and Old Yeller are high up on the list too.
(Before I read the list to my wife, I asked her to guess at some of the titles. She guessed 1-5 easily, and also named #7 and #11.)
Neither of us could understand why Marley & Me is on the list. We both thought it among the most irritating movies of all time.
Thinking back, I probably tear up at more movies than most men — at least more than most men will admit to, and I honestly can’t remember what all of them were. I’ve noticed that within the past four years, I’m more likely to get misty-eyed at movie moments that feature young children, which makes sense because I’m now a father. But those are moments, not movies.
Movies that made me cry, in order of release date:
* Black Orpheus (1959)
* Dead Poets Society (1989)
* Rudy (1993)
* True Romance (1993)
* Iron Will (1994)
* Armageddon (1998)
* Saving Private Ryan (1998)
* The Green Mile (1999)
* Spanglish (2004)
* The Boy In The Striped Pajamas (2008)
There are probably others that don’t spring immediately to mind. It’s also no coincidence that most of these movies came out in the 1990s; it’s when I really began watching lots of movies. Only four of these have I seen more than once, so I have no idea if the others would have the same effect on me if I saw them again.
What movies make you cry?